1 Figure in white, 1975, oil on canvas, 65 x 70 cm (private ownership)
2 In nature, 1975, oil on canvas, 100 x 130 cm (private ownership)
3 Two figures, 1975, oil on canvas, 60 x 60 cm (private ownership)
4 Three figures, 1974, oil on canvas, 89 x 116 cm (private ownership)
5 Portrait (Renoir ?), 1974, oil on canvas, 66 x 76 cm (private ownership)
6 Romantic composition, 1974, oil on canvas, 89 x 116 cm (Koroshka galerija likovnih umetnosti, Slovenj Gradec)
7 The good old days, 1974, oil on canvas, 96 x 96 cm (private ownership)
8 Family, 1974, oil on canvas, 116 x 89,5 cm (private ownership)
9 Row, 1975, oil on canvas, 100 x 130 cm (Moderna galerija, Ljubljana)
Photographs: Lado Mlekuzh, Matija Pavlovec
Marko Shushtarshich was born on 13 November 1927 in Cerknica. Up until 1939 he went to school in Rakek, then attended two grammar school years in Celje. He survived the occupation in Zajechar in Serbia to where the Germans relocated his family in 1941. In November 1944 he joined the Slovenian (V.) battalion (1. company, I. Krajishke brigade) as a junior volunteer. He took part in battles on the Srem front where he suffered serious injuries in January 1945. In 1947 he successfully completed his school-leaving examinations at the grammar school in Celje and enrolled in the Academy of Arts in Ljubljana, from which he graduated in 1951, and in 1953 he completed specialist studies in wall painting. In December 1953 he married the sculptress Alenka Erzhen.
He was employed as an art teacher in Kranj, in Strazhishche pri Kranju and in Prule. Between 1962 and 1967 he taught drawing and graphic techniques at the School of Design, and between 1967 and 1973 he taught drawing, painting and graphic techniques at the Pedagogical Academy in Ljubljana. From 1973 onwards he was assistant professor for painting at the Academy of Arts in Ljubljana.
In 1956, he spent some time studying in Paris and in 1958 in the Netherlands. In 1962, he underwent further training in the atelier of J. Friedlaender in Paris. He held his first independent exhibition in 1958. He participated in over 200 group exhibitions in Yugoslavia and over 80 group exhibitions abroad. In 1961, he recived a prize for painting at Biennale de Paris. In 1962, he received the Presheren Fund Award. He joined Grupa 69 in 1969. He died on 27 March 1976 in Ljubljana.
Shushtarshich’s works were displayed in two retrospective exhibitions: in 1981 in Jakopich’s exhibition grounds and in 2013 in the Modern Gallery in Ljubljana.